You are (here)  

Posted by Will Rutherford in , , , , , , ,


parentheses

pa·ren·the·sis /pəˈrɛnθəsɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation [puh-ren-thuh-sis]

–noun, plural -ses [-seez]

1.

either or both of a pair of signs ( ) used in writing to mark off an interjected explanatory or qualifying remark, to indicate separate groupings of symbols in mathematics and symbolic logic, etc.

2.

Usually, parentheses. The material contained within these marks.

3.

Grammar. A qualifying, explanatory, or appositive word, phrase, clause, or sentence that interrupts a syntactic construction without otherwise affecting it.

4.

An interval.


So tell me ladies and gents, where are you?

I know it seems strange but I’ll elucidate.

When you speak, do people listen? Do you have the ability to say and do things that people take to heart? Anyone with enough charisma and hutzpah will make you believe that the moon is made of a delicious cheese and you must donate money to their program so they can harvest it. So what sets these people apart from the guy who says, "No, no I'm pretty sure the moon is made of NOT food. Therefore I’ll get cheese at the shops." The difference is this:

For our little scene here, Cheesy McMoonman can speak with charisma and such needed to get his ideas over. Mr. Cheeseshop? He is speaking (in parentheses.) What do we do with parentheses? Skip them.

In life, so many of us lived there. (in parentheses) I mean. Don’t look at me, don’t talk to me, leave me alone. I like things you don’t and that’s a sin of enormous magnitude. So many of us, not all mind you, disappear. You don’t see me therefore I don’t have to deal with you. I can just live over here and no one will bother me. Here’s the catch and the flaw here. If you want to get ANYWHERE you can’t just live (there.) Someone has to hear you and to feel where you’re coming from.

2 things. 1. How? Well that’s a good question. Do people listen to me? From time to time. I run a pretty well received radio show. I record music that people seem to like. And people come to me for advice a lot. Why do they listen to these things? Because when I speak its things I have a passion about. Things I give a shit about. The radio show is based around wrestling. It’s something I've always really enjoyed and it comes across in what I do. The music? I won’t write something if I don’t feel it. I won’t write about cash and bitches because that’s not me. That too comes across.

Whether you are blogging, doing a podcast or just talking to someone, if you speak from the heart about something that you really do care about you have a good shot at it. Say you want to start a podcast. Have you ever cooked? Sure, we all have. So you start a show about cooking. If you love cooking and really can talk about it for 30 mins or an hour once a week, you might have a good shot. But if you get on there and say "I made Mac and cheese once. That was fun." there’s not much of a chance of bringing about a big fan base.

2. Understand that you can’t know everything. You can’t get over 100 percent of the time. No matter how much you know and where you are you will find yourself lost from time to time. It’s ok. Take the time, to regroup and go from there. But remember these things:
A. We are all human. Don’t think about this just for yourself, but for others. We all make mistakes.
B. Humor goes a LONG way.
C. So does bullshit.
D. Your better than you might think. Don’t let the slings and arrows of the world throw you off your game. It is your game after all.

I leave you with this.

Where are you?

Here? (or here?)

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 at 11:01 AM and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

I think that just superseded anything Chris Brogan has written in bending my mind in freaking half...

July 2, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Post a Comment