5 Question Friday  

Posted by Will Rutherford in , , ,

Hey there folks and welcome back to 5 Questions. Today we look at a very talented blogger out of Chicago by the name of RachelSkirts. With a remarkable combination of wit and heartfelt humanity, Rachel puts together one of the best blogs on the internet. Now, without further ado, RachelSkirts.

1. Tell us about who you are and what it is you do.
My name is Rachel, although much of the world knows me as Rachelskirts. I'm a 22-year-old Chicago native trying to survive the humbling process of growing up. I work at a church and am stumbling my way through college. The former doesn't even come close to paying for the latter, but both provide ample material for Twitter updates (and my blog), so I tolerate them.

2. Why did you get into social media?
My entry into social media wasn't intentional or even recognized at the time. In 2002, I signed up for an account with Diaryland and fell in love with the internet and the people I met through it. I was delighted to discover new and fun ways to interact with these "online friends," and I readily signed up for one social media site after another. Because my generation has grown up with the internet, I just assumed that this was a natural part of life.


3. What is it that you love about social media?
I love meeting and learning about people. I could spend every night out on the town and never stumble across people as funny or intelligent or plumb crazy as those on Technorati's Top 100 list. Social media can also be incredibly useful. Fluther allows me to get knowledgeable answers in seconds with access to experts in hundreds of fields. The feedback on Flickr allows me to grow as a photographer, while the site itself provides a wealth of inspiration. But beyond just being entertaining and functional, social media can be a beneficial way to grow and learn as a person from the wisdom of peers. With so many people involved online, there is bound to be at least one other person who has walked a similar path and who can offer sound advice on how to deal with anything from depression to grief to a perpetually runny nose.

4. What keeps you coming back? Why do you keep creating content?
Social media is always growing and expanding in new and exciting ways. More and more people become involved every day, adding unexpected twists and turns to this global story line. I feel privileged to be allowed to add my thoughts and experiences to the mix.



5. What is it that you want to accomplish with your media?
I think all of us want to leave behind pieces of our lives that other people can learn from and benefit from in one way or another. I try to keep everything about my online presence as truthful and transparent as possible because I want people to be able to relate to my situation. If someone can read my entry about the hazards of using yogurt to unclog a drain before they make the mistake of trying it, I will consider that piece a success. However, I would be just as happy to know that it merely brought about a smile or laugh. I don't ask for much. Just a reliable internet connection. :)

This entry was posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 at 10:29 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment